Friday 9 March 2012

Ify Aniebo: The Scientist who wants to make science cool for young woman


At just 27, Ify Aniebo’s dream is to find a cure for malaria. Her interest in the diseases started after she suffered bouts of malaria as a child and in her early teens. To this end, she has undertaken field research on malaria in Thailand and later this year, will embark on an HIV/AID research in Swaziland. In 2010, the Nigerian was crowned Scientist of the Year and Young Person of the Year at The Future Awards, , which recognises the contribution of young people making a difference in the country. Currently studying at Oxford University, Aniebo tells us, as part of our week long series to celebrate African Women for International Women’s Day, why her dream is to make science cool for young African women.

Ify chats to our Blogger Belinda Otas

What are you studying at Oxford and what are your plans when you finish?

I was studying for my PhD in Clinical Medicine at Oxford and 2 years into it I decided to do an MPH (Public health) degree. Once I’m done in September, I will continue my PhD. I plan on moving back toNigeriaafter completing my PhD degree. I see a lot of opportunities inNigeriaespecially in the science field. I know that research in my country is almost non-existent but that doesn’t deter me from my dreams.

You have spoken of your passion to return to Africa/Nigeria and empower other young women through science programmes. Can you tell us more about these initiatives?

One of my goals is to make science cool. Young women would rather ignore academia and focus on beauty/entertainment/fashion. While there’s absolutely nothing wrong with focusing on these fields, I feel majority of young women don’t have role models in other technical fields to look up to. With my initiative I’d like to show them that it’s possible to be a scientist and still be into so many other things. I hope to inspire more young people and lobby the government to emphasise the importance of science and research to the development of the nation.

It is one of your goals to find a cure for malaria. How would you describe the state of the malaria epidemic in Africa/Nigeria?

Malaria is one of the world’s most deadly diseases affecting approximately 5 percent of the world’s population. At present, 90 percent of malaria cases and deaths occur in Africa and 85 percent of malaria-related deaths occur in children under 5 years of age. In Nigeria 75 million people or half of the population get attacked by malaria at least once a year while children below five years (around 24 million) get up to four bouts each year and 300,000 people die from the disease each year. It’s very hard to say how close we are to finding a vaccine because the parasite keeps mutating all the time making it harder for the scientific community to control. But we are working very hard and hopefully one day we will get there

Is it lonely being one of the few women conducting research in the areas of science that you work in?

In April I’ll be going to Swaziland to work with the Clinton Health Access Initiative. I’m interested in HIV because there are social issues associated with it. I find the complexities intriguing. My project will involve looking at how stigma affects access to Anti retroviral treatment (ARV). It’s worth mentioning that HIV affects women disproportionately and this is the major reason for my interest in the disease.

You are part of a new generation of African women, making decisions for themselves, from career to education, why has education always been important to you?

Education is important to me because it has given me unique independence and freedom. I find that knowledge is powerful and it is only when you have the right knowledge that you are able to make the right decisions. I believe young African women are going to add tremendously to this continent. There have been great examples of this throughout the continent in areas like technology, literature, advocacy, fashion, architecture, art, etc.

You edit the online magazine, Africa Health, why did you start the website and what are the issues that you address through the platform?

African Health Magazine is the all-important online resource that aims to redefine the health of the average African. I started the website because I realised that accurate health information is not always available.

People need the right information to make right decisions about their health and lifestyle especially in Africa. Our aim is to be the trusted daily resource for healthier living and general wellness. It was also started to educate young Africans about health issues that may affect them, through awareness/advocacy and we do this by raising awareness of on-going health issues around the African continent. Our hope is to increase the average life expectancy and in some ways, contribute to achieving the Millennium Development Goal. Our ultimate goal is to achieve a healthier Africa

What are your hopes for the future of Africa, where women and the sciences are concerned?

I hope that in the future a lot of countries in Africa will have successful science institutions where they train the next generation of female scientists who will help solve Africa’s diseases burden issues and contribute to Africa’s development in areas like Agriculture, innovation, therapeutics. I also hope African governments will invest a considerable amount of yearly budgets to science and technology.

It was International Women’s Day this week, what is your message to young women your age, who want to do great things in life?

Hard work and persistence pays off. Never give up on your dream no matter the circumstance you find yourself in.

Culled from seeafricadifferently

&

Posted by Belinda Otas

What's your thought on this- Leave your comment bellow or on the facebook comment post.

If you want to share this with your friends on the facebook, use the "f" bellow or the share link on the facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment