Sunday 26 February 2012

My mum now calls herself ultimate mum - Prince Christopher Okagbue, GUS 8 winner(Interview)

Prince Christopher Okechukwu Okagbue is the current winner of Gulder Ultimate Search reality show. The Anambra State born is a 300L Sociology student of the University of Lagos. In this interview with Seyi Sokoya, the ultimate man shares the enormous rigours he underwent, his experience in the jungle, life before and after the reality show. Excerpts:
How was the experience like in the jungle?
IT was interesting; I really had fun meeting different kinds of people from different backgrounds during and after the reality show. I was filled with determination that I was in the competition for a purpose.

Did you really expect this?

No, I never expected it at all. I thought it was going to be fun all through but it was not, we did not really know what to expect until we actually came to the end of the contest; we encountered a lot of tough times but at the end I was privileged to make history.

How did you hear about the Gulder Ultimate search?
Actually this is not my first time of hearing about Gulder Ultimate Search. The awareness was amazing and it was all over the media--the radio, television, billboards, internet, newspaper and people even talked about it on the streets. I heard about it two years ago and I thought I should give it a try, but along the line I did not make it to the final selection. I was not discouraged at all and I tried again for the 2011 edition.
Fortunately, I made it to the final selection and as God would have it, I emerged the winner of the GUS 8.

How real is the Gulder Ultimate Search?
It is very real; It was strictly by merit; there was no quota system, no special treatment for anybody. It was purely based on performance. There was no escape route, you must pass one stage before moving to the next. 

Did they fulfill all promises made?
Sure they did! All the promises made to all the thirty contenders were fulfilled.

Why did the Ultimate crew embark on the roadshow?
The roadshow was a means to honour and appreciate everyone for their profound support during the reality show; everyone who took part in the show represented his or her state and we decided to demonstrate our appreciation by touring around states to let people realise that we really appreciated their efforts. We have been to Oyo, Edo, Delta, Rivers and Anambra States. We will go back to Lagos State where we would have the final tour.

How do you intend to establish yourself ?
For now, I have suspended my plans because of the roadshow but immediately after it I will start implementing them. I have a lot of plans that I have mapped out, but the first thing I will do is to go back to school to complete my education. I still have a year to gain my first degree.

I have a lot of projects I am working on. I want to put finishing touches on my two singles. In fact, I want to come back fully into the entertainment industry. I am also into acting. I have a major role in Tinsel produced by Mnet. It is one of the biggest TV soap operas in this part of the world. I am also getting offers from different producers and directors from movies.

I really appreciate the fact that the Nigerian Brewery has laid the platform for me, it is just like an open door. Before now, life was just regular; I was juggling school, modelling and acting; I was at almost every modelling or acting audition, trying to break into the entertainment industry. You can imagine twenty people fighting for one role. I knew I had the potential but people never paid attention to me because I was not a celebrity. But now the story has changed.

Now that you have chosen music as a career, how are you convinced that you will have your way with the growing number of popular artistes in the industry?
One thing I know is that I am hard working; time will tell whether I will have my way or not. I believe anything I commit my mind with coupled with determination I will surely have a success in it.

All artistes have stage names; what will be yours since you want to have  a stake in music?

When I get there fully I will decide on that, but I will prefer to remain myself. I want my fans to recognise me by my name.

What is your assessment on Nigeria entertainment industry?

Nigeria entertainment industry is growing faster, compared to what we have before, the industry has worn a new look, we are more open minded to what we use to ignore or disregard in the past. When you talk about music industry in Africa today Nigeria comes first, but it was not like that many years ago, this really shows that we are growing, even in the movie and modelling industry, the entertainment industry as a whole has metamorphosed to a greater height.

Now that you have gained fame, how have you been handling your female admirers?

I have always had female admirers but I make sure I am nice to them and also ensure to say no in a polite way.

And your fans too?
My fans are very important to me because they are the ones that voted for me even though they never knew me from Adam. They are the ones that prayed for me while I was in the jungle and I really want to appreciate them for their endless support. With this they will always be important to me.

When you were shortlisted among the finalists for GUS 8, were you convinced that you could become the winner?

I never had the conviction that I would win. Seeing yourself as a winner in a competition of many people is like a dream that will not come to reality. There was a due process in every task of the game but I ensured I made every task before me a primary objective to deal with. I was not looking at the big picture. I made sure I scaled through all the challenges I came across. But I realised I was still in the game. Suddenly, I, Kelvin Durst and Anastasia Azike found ourselves in the last stage; at that juncture I believed anybody could win. I was just extremely lucky. Honestly, it was not planned, nobody was told where the box was; I was just extremely lucky that I found it.

When you found the box in the uncompleted building you shouted; what went through your mind?

What went through my mind the moment I found that box was the very first day of the screening at the national stadium in Lagos when I walked into the stadium and saw the crowd. My friends and I who came for the auditioning were six. But I was the only one who made it. I had to represent everybody. From that moment--the swimming, series of interviews and hunger all flashed through my mind within five seconds. I was holding the box and I knew I had won but I was still asking myself: is this real? I was so glad that I am the ultimate man of the GUS 8 session.

Has this made any change in your life?

It has changed my life drastically. GUS 8, no doubt, has affected my life positively. Doors open when they hear “He is the ultimate man.” People will want to listen when I talk; offers come from nowhere even when I don’t expect them. It is really a great experience and I am really enjoying it.

What will be your first purchase with the 7 million you won?

I don’t think I would be buying anything big. Probably I will just change my wardrobe and tidy up a few personal things.

How did your parents receive the news when you were announced the winner of the competition?

My father is late, but when my mum received the news she went wild and was filled with joy; she was the happiest mother in the world and I am glad to make her proud. She now calls herself ultimate mother.

How do you feel attaining this fame in your father’s absence?

I felt his absence, but I am extremely proud and I know he will be proud of me wherever he is. He was a great man who did great things before he died and I wanted to do great things too; bringing the family’s name to the ears of the world was something I have always wanted to achieve and I am proud that I was able to do that even in his absence. 

Any embarrassing moment you will find difficult to forget in the jungle?

Well, I think it was when my jungle trousers tore at a very bad spot during one of the tasks and I had to wear it like that until we were through with it. 

Share with us briefly about your fashion sense?

I am in a world of my own; I don’t like controversial things, I dress the way I feel comfortable and I get compliments outside.

Is there any project you have laid your hands on?

I have a youth awareness project that I am planning with my state of origin, Anambra. It’s basically to create awareness for youths who do not have the privilege to go to school. I realise that the fact that you do not attend any higher institution does not mean your life will be ruined. The problem is that most of them do not even know that there is still hope. With this I want to create an empowerment program in this respect.

Do you think there is the need for you to go back to school since you have acquired so much?

My returning to school is certain; there is no doubt about that. I am a student of the University of Lagos, Sociology 300L and one way or the other I would say my school also contributed to my fame. One thing I love about my school is that it is not just only interested in your academic performance; it is also interested in your in-built potential. We are encouraged to go out to do stuffs that do not really have to do with sitting in class. Right now a welcome party is being planned for me by my faculty. Definitely I will return to school; I just have one year left. It will be stupid for me to drop out from school now because I have made fame.   

What is your assessment on the anchor man, Bob Manuel?

The anchor man is a legend for me even before he started this GUS. I am like his biggest fan; he has made a name for himself in the movie industry and the entertainment industry at large. I was pleased when he took over as the anchor man in the Gulder Ultimate Search. He changed the face of the competition by bringing the military idea and it was interesting; one of the things that marvelled me when I was going to the jungle was that I was going to meet Bob Manuel face to face. I had never met him before. I only saw him on TV. So articulate!

Take us through your background?

I am from Onitsha in Anambra State, from the royal family of the Obi of Onitsha. My father, Obi Ofala Okechukwu Alphonsus Ogugua Okagbue was the former king of Onitsha before this present one. He was the longest ruling king in the history of Onitsha kingdom; he ruled for thirty one years before he passed on. I had my primary education in Onitsha and I completed my secondary school education in Lagos.

No comments:

Post a Comment